Wednesday 15 October 2014

The New Oxford Book Of Food Plants



On my kitchen shelf, between the different cook books I never use, I have my mothers wonderful old copy of The New Oxford Book Of Food Plants.
It is the most beautiful collection of botanical illustrations and filled with useful information.  One time I realised I didn't know how a cashew grew, if it was huddled in a pod with lots of other ones or hiding inside a tough shell. I looked it up and was so surprised, who knew just how rare and strange they really are. I can't find an image of it but I highly recommend getting a copy of the book. Sesame seeds are also quite surprising.
I think all those involved deserve credit.
John G Vaughan(Author), Catherine A Geissler(Author), Elisabeth Dowle(Illustrator), Belgium Nicholson(Illustrator), Elizabeth Rice(Illustrator)

No comments: